Sick Notes

Sickness under 7 days

You do not require a doctor's sickness certificate for any illness lasting 7 days or less. Your employer may however require you to complete a self-certification form (SC2) which is available from your employer or on the HMRC website which can be reached by clicking here.

Evidence that you are sick

If you are sick for more than seven days, your employer can ask you to give them some form of medical evidence to support payment of SSP (statutory sick pay).

It is up to your employer to decide whether you are incapable of work. A medical certificate, now called a 'Statement of Fitness for Work’ (see below) from your doctor is strong evidence that you are sick and would normally be accepted, unless there is evidence to prove otherwise.

You could also provide evidence from someone who is not a medical practitioner, e.g. a dentist, physiotherapist, podiatrist. Your employer will decide whether or not this evidence is acceptable. If your employer has any doubts, they may still ask for a medical certificate from your GP.

Patients who require a sick note from one of our medical professionals can now request this via the E-Consult link (homepage). This will allow you to place a request for consideration of a note for specific start and finish dates and also get advice for any future consultations that may be required.

Please note: Sick Notes can only be requested during or after the period of illness. Extensions of sick notes must also fit into this protocol and cannot be arranged in advance.

In some instances, the clinician may request that you make contact via telephone consultation/face to face consultation etc. as appropriate. 

To access E-Consult, click here 

For more information regarding sickness and holidays, long term sickness etc., please click here.