If your child needs a blood test, please call 01704 835159 to arrange a pre-bookable appointment. This is not a drop-in service.
Appointments are at:
The Village Surgery
12 Elbow Ln, Formby, Liverpool L37 4AW
Should you be unable to attend the appointment please inform the Clinic on the above number as soon as possible so that another appointment can be arranged.
Some children may have "magic cream" (Ametop/Emla) applied prior to a procedure. This must be supplied by your practice and applied in advance, following the instructions given.
Please report to the reception team. Please ensure you bring the blood request form with you. Do not hesitate to ask any questions, however trivial you may think they are.
What Will Happen?
- Your child will be introduced to the team before the test is done. These people are specially trained.
- "Magic cream" (where appropriate) will be wiped away and your child will be ready for their test.
- The team will identify the best way of collecting the blood. This will be either from a needle into a vein, or via a finger-prick sample taken from the finger.
- Samples will be sent to the laboratory for analysis.
- Results will be given directly to the clinician who requested them.
Blood Test Process - Videos
The videos above may help you understand the process of obtaining blood tests from children. They may be useful for your child to watch ahead of coming in to have a test.
For a number of reasons, it is sometimes necessary to repeat samples. This will be the decision of the person who has requested the investigations.